Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week 5


Hello every one, normally i wrote my blog at the beginning of the weeks but i changed my mind this time, writing it on Friday because i want to share with you guides some of my thought after working through all of the tasks in the Assignment 1. I expected that the first CSC 148 assignment would be very easy ! (as i already experienced the easiness of the 1st CSC 108 assignment) . Unfortunately, my thought was wrong. I planned to complete the assignment over the weekended, but until today ( Friday), i still can't figure out what to do with the bonus question and moreover i yet completed any of the docstrings for the function that i wrote. In detail, i don't really understand the difference between the 2 methods TOAHModel._eq_ and TOAHModel.same_strategy. I think that the docstring descriptions of these two methods are little bit vague, so i did make a question in Piazza and hopefully the professors will get back to me soon. :)

The first 4 questions in the assignment are not that difficult but it is very tedious. The biggest difference between CSC 108 and CSC148 assignment is that in CSC 108 I was given detailed descriptions, parameter names and plenty of examples which help me to easily understand what a function should do. But in 148, nothing was given beside from the function names and some short vague descriptions, so I have scan through all of the given classes to figure out how other class to answer some questions. For example, how many parameters do i need, does the function return any value or None, what are the data type of the parameters ...

Question 5 is Hell no more no less! I took me 4 days of hard works until i finally got the solution with some helps from the TA in the CSC help center. The TA there are super nice, one of the TAs sat with me for like 20 minutes, explaining to me in detail what was wrong with my recursive function. Another TA there also taught me how to count no of steps of a recursive function made, which is extremely useful! I rarely came to the CSC help center, i think i came there one last semester for CSC165 weekly exercise but never for CSC108. But from now on, i will come there whenever possible!

The lab this week is about recursion, i and my partner did pretty well in the first two exercise when we are asked to trace through 2 recursive function. But in task3, when i had to code a recursive function, i struggled for an hour and half but still got it wrong at the end. The TA told me the solution, but it made me feel really disappointed about my self. I probably will have to work more on recursion during the reading week in order to prepare for the mid term that is coming soon.

In the scale of 5, i give my self a grade of 3 over 5 for my learning experience, lab performance and effort this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment